How do you handle members who attack other members?

Discussion in 'Member and Staff Management' started by Ksquall1, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Ksquall1

Ksquall1 Regular Member

This thread is inspired by something that happened to me this morning on another site. A user had gotten pretty heated because I had cut off contact with him in order to prevent issues and move on from the previous friendship. Instead of just understanding, this person decided to harass me via PM and threatened to post personal information about me on the forum if I told anyone I was being harassed.

In this situation, I was in the role of a normal poster; however, it made me think of how forum staff would react if one of their members were the result of a personal attack and how I would deal with it in a staff position. How would you deal with forum members that attack and threaten other forum members?

Brandon likes this.
  2. BMR

BMR Regular Member

With any sort of discipline on my site we try to take a somewhat leaned back approach. That being said, there needs to be some rules and place and people attacking each other is defiantly not a environment you want to have. I always start with a warning in the case this is the first time the issue has come up with a certain user talking to them on a one on one basis. After that if it continues I go the infraction route, and if it still is a problem it's time to hand out a temp or perm ban.

Brandon and Ksquall1 like this.
  3. Jessi

Jessi Regular Member

If there's actual harassment going on, then I warn them early.... or if it's already gone too far, I would get rid of them. I don't care if it's going on privately.... it's not acceptable whatsoever. If it's something that has just gotten heated and is none of my business, then I won't get involved yet, but I'm not going to allow it to go on for long.

4. bauss

bauss Regular Member

Fortunately I never had to deal with this yet at my forum, but we have no tolerance for members harassing each other, and they'll receive a 1 hour ban to calm down, and if they continue it's a 1 week ban, after that they'll be banned permanently.

Ksquall1 likes this.
  5. webaficionado

webaficionado Regular Member

I usually quote them and tell them to keep things civil. I rarely go for PMs, but if I have to delete someone's post because it's too offensive, I will send a PM for them afterwards.