How Do You Convince An Overzealous Member ...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by ProSportsForums, Feb 9, 2013.

1. ProSportsForums

ProSportsForums Regular Member

Not every thought should be a new thread?

This is one that I struggle with. You don't want to blow off a member who wants to post but at the same time having the same member start twelve useless threads a day detracts from the forums. You can't tell the member not to post so much. It's a discussion forum. You can't delete the threads without a long and drawn out explanation, one the member won't understand in any case. How do you keep post-whores in check?

cpvr likes this.
  2. Jessi

Jessi Regular Member

Do people respond to them?

Even if you think they're stupid, if people go ahead and discuss them, it might not necessarily be a problem anyway. It's just annoying. You could potentially merge some of them if they're similar enough to keep in the same thread without flat-out deleting them.

3. ProSportsForums

Most often the responses are negative. Along the lines of "Dude, we really didn't need a thread on this." Or "Who cares?" Or some profanity-laced tirade about how the stupid people making stupid threads is pushing all the good discussions to the second page.

4. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Well, ask them to add more depth to their threads, that way, their threads receive more replies. You don't want to warn a post whore over creating content for your forum. Just tell them you expect more out of the threads that are created. Also tell them that there isn't a problem with him/her creating new topics. And in fact, I'd ask them to make sure they don't post so many threads in a short period of time because other users need some time to come across and reply to those topics.

Also, I'd recommend that you tell the posters to think more about the threads before actually creating them.

ProSportsForums likes this.
  5. Superboy

Superboy Most Likely, I'm Insane.

post whores are great for our forum...i love them. so i don't want to keep them in check lol.

as long as the topic has some point it really doesn't bother me.

6. carntheroos4eva

carntheroos4eva Regular Member

Ban them. They are spammers who are only intending to annoy you all with pointless shit all the time.

7. carntheroos4eva

Make sure you have a set of rules for posting new threads. If you don't you will have to ban the post whores who's intent is to annoy the admins all the time with their pointless shit.

8. ProSportsForums

And herein lies the conundrum ... :)

9. ProSportsForums

Here is what I'm really dealing with: This is a member of borderline intelligence. His I.Q. is likely somewhere between 70-80. Explaining things simply doesn't work. He just doesn't get it. I have explained things ad nauseum. He simply repeats the same actions ad infinitum. I'm a complete [****][****][****][****][****][****][****] but how big of an [****][****][****][****][****][****][****] would I have to be to ban someone for a mental disability?

10. Superboy

i mean is it that bad?
    like damaging the site bad?

or is it just merely annoying?

11. Carlos

Carlos Regular Member

I deal with these types of members quite a bit.

For example, I just had one member who was spamming his videos across multiple forums, which I plainfully said not to do on the site.. Yet the guy goes on a spam spree by bringing up old threads (thread hijacking) with his youtube video. Over and over again. I moved all those posts to a single thread so that I keep track of what he did. Then not to be outdone, when I private convo'ed (PM'ed) him, he goes "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to..." but then he goes back and tries his hand at being a snark little &@^# for all I care. He says... "do you mean ban from your forum?" I explained it to him, then when I talked about "the site gets a lot of traffic every day.." He goes....

"what do you mean?"

I mean, really? You're 20 years old and you're asking me a common sense comment!? Really?

#@^& that! If you're going to sit there, act dumb, and insult my intelligence... There's the f@^&ing door, man!

After a while of back and forth, he goes and makes threats by saying that he'll expose me on youtube. He said he was going to make a good review of the site, but now that I got smart and treated him badly... he'll make a bad review of my site.

Bring it on, &!^#.... He continues to insult me calling me names, and whatnot.. I banned him.

And get this, get this... His last words included this "Imma tell everyone you were harrassing me!!1" :ROFL:

Just an FYI, his subscriber to views ratio is LOW. I could do twice the number of views with a low subscriber count. All you have to do is market your videos in the right place and within the rules of that particular site.

12. ProSportsForums

It mostly annoys other members. But if I banned every member who annoyed other members there would be one member left .... me.

13. carntheroos4eva

@Micah Zen make sure you have got a set of rules in place so that people who are just on there to spam your forum can be dealt with.
    The best thing to do is to manually approve all accounts and keep an eye on any proxies that are being used. It could be that the person who does this is using several accounts and therefore is using several proxies just to post pointless shit on your forum.

14. carntheroos4eva

Spamming is really annoying. You have to think about your other members that post normally. Ask yourself these few questions.
    How do you think they are going with it?
    How many complaints are you receiving from the members who are annoyed at these spammers?
    If the answer is yes and you are getting complaints you need to do something about it.

15. carntheroos4eva

Boot him. But when you boot him tell him the reason why he's no longer allowed on the forum. If he spams you deal with him at a higher level. (involve police if possible)

16. Superboy

same here...of course i'd have to ban myself too as i bet i annoy them as well

17. carntheroos4eva

Just ban the douchebags that post pointless shit up all the time.
    Have a set infraction saying to the people involved stop posting up your thoughts as threads. Put them as posts instead.

18. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Or you can send that member my way and I can shape them up/make them become a better member;) . I have an infraction system in place as well and it works wonders.

I wish I had a problem with someone making too many threads and often at that.

Superboy likes this.
  19. Superboy

lol I know right?

20. Carlos

Carlos Regular Member

You don't have to ban every member who annoys you, just ban the ones that keeps up the tirade. If they're ignoring your warning, just ban them. That's what this sounds like, the guy doesn't seem to care that he annoys the other forum members, and I think you PM'ed him telling him to stop somehow... but he continues to do what he wishes..

Then I guess, ban him.