How do you come up with so many thread ideas Nick?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Tex, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Tex

Tex Adept

First Name:
    Blake
    I notice here on AA pretty much everyday Nick creates multiple new threads. They're always interesting and make me want to reply. I try to do this on my site, but can never come up with good ideas. What's your secret? Do you stay up at night brain storming new thread ideas or what?? :)

2. Webmist

Webmist Champion

First Name:
    Jen
    Don't you know, Nick never sleeps. All that caffeine and the infusion he has to Starbucks.

3. kneel

kneel Regular Member

yea i gotta give the man props. He does a great job in posting questions that we can all reply too..

4. MordyT

MordyT Grand Master

First Name:
    Mordy
    Now that is a good question....

If I was running a site like this, I would use common problems that pop-up as thread ideas.

i.e. - that "No Passion" Thread - -how do you deal with that without causing a problem with someone? Or, what do you do in situation X.
    Mostly, it boils down to knowing what interests your audience.

5. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

You're confusing him with Chris Martin... Nick is a health freak and he says he MUST have his 8 hours of sleep.

6. Nick

Nick Regular Member

LOL, yes, yes. The truth is, I do require plenty of sleep, but I hardly get it. It's not because of caffeine (yes, I do love coffee, but only during daylight hours except on special occasions), but because my mind is going a million different directions.

True story: many times have I been laying in bed, sleeplessly and thought of some great discussion topics; I e-mail them to myself using my cell phone, and they're in my inbox waiting for me by morning -- then they get posted here in "waves". :D

Anyways, to answer your question, I think a lot of them up at random times but also get ideas while perusing other webmaster-related forums (very few of them are forum-related, but I find a way to relate the concept to forum administration).

I never thought of it as a secret, but I'm very glad to hear that you notice and that they actually interest you. Many people have actually told me the opposite. :shrug:

7. Noles

Noles Adept

First Name:
    Ryan
    Yeah I've noticed that, and it is great. :)

8. BananaQueen

BananaQueen Grand Master

First Name:
    not telling anyone ;)
    well done, your threads are always interesting

9. Tex

Tex Adept

First Name:
    Blake
    Thanks Nick. Those who apparently told you otherwise sound like scrooges. :rolleyes: I mean perhaps they feel they know it all, but I wouldn't care either way - I still find the topics you come up with interesting and they encourage me to contribute. Keep it up! ;)

10. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I've thought this lately as well, Nick does a great job posting new threads and interesting questions. :)