How come a lot of people can't get used to IPB?

Discussion in 'IP.Board Discussions' started by CM30, Jun 5, 2013.

1. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

I often hear complaints about the software that it's somehow difficult to use or less intuitive than other forum software (often XenForo), and that a lot of vBulletin convertees don't seem to like the script much, so why is this?

What makes IPB difficult or awkward to use compared to other forum software?

Brandon likes this.
  2. Cerberus

Cerberus Admin Talk Staff

IPB is not that bad, but the fact that it is the most exploited forum software on the net keeps people away. There is a new exploit for it like every couple days. And the company is very reactive in security. So, after like a week of people knowing how to hack your site then they finally release an update. That is about the only thing I dont like about it. I have used it before, but your forum is not safe with their software. It is pretty much a target.

Plus, the interface is a lot different than Vbulletin, but same goes for XF. I think it is just a personal preference. But, it is not horrible or anything.. I would give it like 5 out of 10

3. Liam W

Liam W The best of the best ;)

Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, United Kingdom
    First Name:
    Liam
    I tried the admin demo, and really didn't like it. I also don't like how everything is done via online licensing.

Also, I don't think the front end is very user intuitive at all, and I really don't like the UI.

4. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

How don't you think it's user intuitive and why don't you like the UI? I'd like to know, because that's kind of the reason I made the topic, to hear why people don't like each aspect of the software.

5. Liam W

Liam W The best of the best ;)

Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, United Kingdom
    First Name:
    Liam

Well, and I'm basing my judgement directly on the use of the CyanogenMod Forum, there is very little to no Ajax, meaning I have to wait for a page to load to do anything.

Also, there isn't support for custom user titles.

I also don't like the way the posts are set out, mainly the location of the username.

CM30 likes this.
  6. Superboy

Superboy Most Likely, I'm Insane.

I'm almost positive you can use custom user titles on IPB.

And what do you mean by "Online Licensing"? Just curious.

7. Superboy

Superboy Most Likely, I'm Insane.

I am an IPB fanboy and I do like the software. I wouldn't say IPB is the most exploited forum(wouldn't that actually be Vbulletin)?

That being said I can't wait for IPB's newest rewrite for IPB 4. I think the software is great but it does feel clunky and the admin panel offers a lot of power and control to owners compared to the bare bones of XF but it can be a bit too much and i think the reason some people have issues with IPB is the fact that while the software is great, it just doesn't look GREAT as it should.

8. Cerberus

Cerberus Admin Talk Staff

http://www.exploit-db.com/exploits/25441/ This is from a public site and is only a month old. I am not going to post links to private ones, but there are at least 5 exploits that are current as of yesterday on IPB on private ones. And not for nothing that one on the public database is probably still valid if they have not updated after that date.

IPB is hands down the most exploited. Trust me :) And nothing against it though. I like it, but the company does a horrible job handling it and are only reactive. Without people telling them hey I been hacked, they do not fix anything. And after you have been hacked kind of pointless...Just my opinion

9. bauss

bauss Regular Member

My members haven't complained, and I like IPB a lot. My forum is one of the better looking IPB forums though, so that's probably why :P

10. thebrad

thebrad Regular Member

IPB forums are getting hacked all the time and security is terrible within it + i don't feel its user friendly at all its terrible to use well i think i had it for 2 months and shut my forum down because of how bad it is, xenforo i feel is the way to go it seems to be the best for these type of forums.

11. lordi

lordi Regular Member

I think it's matter of personal taste, I have SMF forum before, and I want to convert to paid script
    compare vB and IPB, and I choose IPB, and I never regret it

12. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Administrator

It just seems to bloated to me. Maybe IPB4 will change that.

13. ProSportsForums

ProSportsForums Regular Member

The short answer to the O.P.: IPB was developed in the most illogical and user-unfriendly manner possible.

14. Jura

Jura Regular Member

I would like specifics.

lordi likes this.