How can I increase my traffic?

Discussion in 'Monetization Techniques' started by Jason1988, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Jason1988

Jason1988 Newcomer

First Name:
    Jason
    My forum is about a video game. I got lots of traffic the first few days before the game's release and a few days after. Ever since, the traffic has been getting lower. There are only about 1 or 2 other forums that are dedicated to the game. I am advertising anywhere possible. Almost 70% of my traffic is coming from search engines. What can I do to increase traffic?

2. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Do you add new content regularly? Do you offer new and unique information/tips/articles/screenshots/walk-throughs for the game?

I'm sure that since it's still new, plenty of people are interested in the game and want to read up on it before they buy it.
    Target that and exploit it: What would you highlight and feature to "advertise" the game to somebody who didn't have it? What are your favorite parts of it? What would you show-off about it?

Imagine that you didn't have the game and you wanted to read about it. What would you want to find and read/see? Use the answer to that question to determine what you should put on your site.

You can't just set up a forum and hope the people come and start chatting away. You need to give them a reason to 1) come to your site, then to 2) join, and then to 3) actively participate and engage in the forum.

3. Ponyboy

Ponyboy Regular Member

Have a place on the homepage for a newsletter signup and send out a newsletter when you add things to the site. Don't send one out every day but maybe once or twice a month or only when you have major content updates.

Sending out a newsletter has a huge impact on the number of visitors that we have for several days.

4. superfishnz

superfishnz Novice

First Name:
    Binh
    I just checked out your site.

Perhaps try adding some more 'components' to your site such as:

1. Ability to upload Gallery

2. Download demos, wallpaper, content etc....

3. Tips/tricks?

Give your members a reason to stay longer and contribute more.

No offensive, but with your site, I find out quite confusing navigating around the site and from the main page......

5. kev

kev Regular Member

That is the problem with starting a site/forum on one very narrow topic. In 5 years that game will be forgotten.

If you want your site to last several years, do not pick narrow topics.

6. superfishnz

superfishnz Novice

First Name:
    Binh
    I second this. Perhaps do a site dedicated to the whole Halo Franchise instead? That way, you'll get a lot more users and potential for future releases as well.

7. coolsuji

coolsuji Regular Member

First Name:
    suji
    You can increase the traffic by following the seo techniques,
    1.blogging,
    2.article submission,
    3.directory submission,
    4.social bookmarking
    5.forum posting.
    These are some techniques to increase the traffic..I found a professional SEO plan at Tucktail.com .
    It also helps to increase the traffic in a short time.

8. soniceffect

soniceffect Regular Member

First Name:
    Marc
    Find related items on facebook and post in them. Add groups related to it, add people related to it and ensure your posting all your updates about the game to facebook status.

Add yourself a page on facebook and ensure you can find it if you searched for the game. Do the same with groups.

Make yourself a twitter account and post about your site constantly. Ensure you are hash tagging the name of the game every time, this way it will be picked up by others interested in it.