Has your forum made you any "enemies"?

Discussion in 'Member and Staff Management' started by Soliloquy, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I'm not talking about just a competitor, although the term "enemy" might occasionally apply to one. Has your forum led to anyone (disgruntled member or mod, someone who didn't like your forum) actively working against you?

2. Chris

Chris Regular Member

No, never. :) This would be absolutely horrible.

3. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

I think I have a few from vBulletin.com. Everyone thinks I am there to be their buddy and their best friend which isn't my job. One person in particular seems to follow me around at other forums and say that I am always rude to him. I don't remember ever corresponding with him and put him on ignore every time I see him. I even have him on ignore at vBulletin.com and I really don't like to do that but its the only way I can deal with the issue.

4. kev

kev Regular Member

Oh,,,,, my forum has been put on a US Government, Department of Homeland Security watch list - no big deal.

5. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

Yes!

No matter how hard I try there is always going to be someone disappointed, some more than others. And yes I mean real live people in real life.

2 people like this.
  6. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Kevin, that must be quite an experience, to say the least. I think you win this thread :) How has it affected your life? Are you still able to fly on commercial airlines?

7. kev

kev Regular Member

Its not affected my life at all. I'am flying out to california next week, so I guess I will find out then.

The only reason I know its on a watch list is because one of my members knows someone that works for DHS and the word got back to me through him.

I know for a fact that DHS employees have been members of my community. I traced their IP addresses back to the a range that is registered with the US government. ARIN.net even listed the branch of government.

8. Wayne Luke

Your Team Fortress site? That's because terrorist cells around the world use games like that to "train" people and pass information amongst groups. At least that is what the government thinks. I don't know if its true or not but read a few articles on it a few years ago.

9. kev

kev Regular Member

:)

The survivalist site under my name.

10. Wayne Luke

Probably the same reasons but you're survivalist site probably has a better chance of actually giving usable knowledge. However if your Survivalist site is a homeland security risk then maybe the U.S. Army should stop selling their Survival Manual at Amazon.com.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/U-S-Army-Survival-Handbook-Department/dp/1585745561]Amazon.com: U.S. Army Survival Handbook: Department of the Army: Books[/ame]

11. Lynne

Lynne Regular Member

My forum is watched by the Web Sheriff and GrayZone and many band managers and agencies. I've gotten several take down notices/dmca notices/whatever you want to call them. However, I've always been quick and very polite when responding to any of them. They even call me by name now. I don't really consider them my enemy since they are just doing their job which sometimes leads them to giving me notice.

12. lyco

lyco Addict

First Name:
    Chase
    well i would think Blizzard/Activision would have a problem with my site/style but ironically they dont thier official position is "We know about the PBWoW/vB-PBWoW project. And while we know about it we will not support it or go against it due to it still advertises World of Warcraft" so i guess they dont care lol

13. 50calray

50calray Grand Master

First Name:
    Ray
    Well my topic tends to up sit a lot of people in general but I did have a mod on our local forum got all disgruntled about it. I asked the site owner if I could mention my forum on his site and he said yes. I honestly didn't think it would rub anyone either way since it's a car forum but I wanted to ask before I did it. So I mentioned the site, nothing big, no banners etc. Just made a very simply thread with the site link and posted a link in my sig. Well the Mod flipped out, deleted my thread, my sig, and censored the site name. So If I or anyone mentioned it, the system would change it to some other site. I talked with the owner and he had a talk with the mod about it. I'm now allowed to post up again but all I do is keep a link in my sig and will occasionally mention it to people talking about or selling firearms.

14. torque

torque Regular Member

I hope your not talking about me... haha.

My site has made enemies quite easily. I run a sports website and unlike the major media outlets here in Australia my site has no contracts with clubs etc (one media outlet owns a competition while the other has high shares in sporting teams) and what they do when something happens involving the teams they have contracts with they give like a 2 line news article about it, or refuse to name players or don't give all of the facts - whereas my website just tells the news how it has.

I made plenty of enemies when I made a post about certain fans from a certain team getting death threats etc if they turned up to home matches or something, and a major newspaper ran with the story and yeah now i have a whole bunch of team supporters who are enemies to my website they discredit me in anyway they can I have been reported to Jelsoft more times than I can count for "Pirated" software because I have brought Branding Free for the forums.

But yeah I am just doing what I can to continue!

15. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Yes, this is rediculous but they even went and wrote a blog about our actions as administrators claiming if people dont leave others good reputation we infract them and all other kinds of idiotic false claims. Funnily enough we had a feeling it was this particular person as they had threatened to do so in the past, told them we knew it was them and the blog was never wrote on again :D

16. Chris

Chris Regular Member

They actually created a blog dedicated to badmouthing your community? That's new - I've never seen that done before. :eek:

17. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Yes they did lol To be honest some people have no lives :D

18. Chris

Chris Regular Member

That really is quite sad. Leaving due to differing opinions and/or views is one thing, but creating a blog and dedicating it to such a scenario is taking it too far. :lol:

19. Michael

Michael Regular Member

It is still out there somewhere rofl honestly the member of our competitors forum was saying we were spamming our own board and things like we should really be upet that the competitor is doing better than us lol of course they are lol they have been around for 4 years and at that point our forum was still a baby :)

20. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

If I was really treated like that, I personally wouldn't let it upset my life so much; I would just find a more welcoming place to hang out. Who has time to start a blog over that?