Hacking Threats

Discussion in 'Security and Legal' started by The Hat Tipper, Nov 27, 2010.

1. The Hat Tipper

The Hat Tipper Regular Member

How do you respond to threats to hack your website/forum?

I throw most away because most likely they are just trying to make me scared and listen to them. I have received 8 since I have been running forums, only one I took serious because it came from some underground large hacking group. they just requested a couple posts about a subject be removed.

2. Hitakashi

Hitakashi Regular Member

I don't remember getting any hacking threats, but a site we host did get one (I think if i remember) and it took down 2 nodes, and a test node our provider had.

3. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Regular Member

I've been running forums now for almost six years and I've never had a hacking "threat". I have had two attempts but no one has ever threatened me. The attempts never succeeded because our server security was too good. (on our own self managed vps at the time).

Even on shared hosting, you can take steps to avoid being hacked....one is to avoid using popular hackable forum software. Another, make your password 8-12 letters, numbers, and characters all mixed. And change it a minimum of every 3 months. If your software supports it, add yourself to the configuration file as a owner. In vb, the section is known as unalterable/undeletable users. Some call them Super Admins when added to the configuration file.

4. kavin

kavin Regular Member

I never had any threats. I was working as a moderator of a blackhat community (I'm not a hacker by the way). So i can handle any threats using them. :p

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

I never had any either, but most of the time its a low life couch potato trying to scare someone who dosent know anything about hacking.

kavin likes this.
  6. Grumpy

Grumpy Regular Member

First would be to collect all the evidence and make copies, they report them to the service provider, if they have a site report them to the hosts and then also contact the police, Hackers for me are scum of the Earth and need locking up.

Elizabeth likes this.
  7. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Regular Member

I absolutely agree. I've spent time on the other end in security helping people with their computers because of hackers and script kiddies. I've also helped others clean their web sites up.

I watch my own system for random stuff out of the ordinary. It helps to be on a dedicated server where you know who has access.

While we were on a vps, my tech admin and I did discover an attempt was made but it wasn't able to trigger due to our internal security.

Brandon Sheley and Trealix like this.
  8. Grumpy

Grumpy Regular Member

The Hazey has had a few attempts but Rich is always one step ahead of them, it is about time the police had more of an online presence. So if you have an issue you can talk to an online Cyber Cop.

Terrorz likes this.
  9. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Haha I like that idea, yea it would be nice, but at the same time things would be too strict.

10. Grumpy

Grumpy Regular Member

Possibly but would you rather have it a bit strict or let these kids run round thinking they can do what they want, when they want?

Terrorz likes this.
  11. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Yea I guess strict is better, I would love to learn how to hack, just to hack the hacker back for what they do to these poor webmasters who pour their blood and sweat into their sites, like I do.

12. Grumpy

Grumpy Regular Member

Sorry I don't agree with that. Doing that would make you no better that them, two wrongs do not make a right.

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

You have a point, just these hackers should suffer for their wrong doings, either rot in jail or anything else to let them feel how the people getting hacked feel.

14. Grumpy

Grumpy Regular Member

Don't get me wrong something needs doing but all the admins around the world need to stand together and help each other get rid of these people by collecting enough evidence to take to the police so they can get convicted.

15. Daisy

Daisy Regular Member

It's a shame, as 'kids' aren't always the problem. Just immature, irresponsible, and loony idiots do stuff like hacking a admin's hard work.
    I'm hosted on Forumotion- does that make my forum a threat prone forum?
    I've been working on forums since I was 9 (four years), and never has something like that crossed my mind.

16. Trealix

Trealix Gamer

Most teenagers hack because of boredum, when someone says "I can hack" they seem to say in there minds this kid has no life, but tbh they do have a life but have a small thing they seem to like, it will all go and they will get bored of hacking once getting to the age of 16, once there 16 they put there minds on something else.

17. Kius

Kius Regular Member

In my experience, 9 out of 10 times, the Hacker will tell you the vulnerability your site fell victim to. From that point, try to amp up your security by fixing the situation, and adding more.

18. BlazingBlue

BlazingBlue Regular Member

I never understood the joy someone gets from hacking another. I hope I never do.

19. Ryan

Ryan Regular Member

Just ignore the threats. 99 out of 100 times, nothing will happen.

The 1% of the time that something happens, there is honestly little that you can do to prevent it or track down the culprit. Your host will need to handle stopping any DDoS's.

The most important thing for you to do to protect yourself against hacking is:

1) Back up your data regularly and test your backups to make sure they work
    2) Do not encourage would-be hackers to want to hack you. Just ignore them.

BlazingBlue likes this.
  20. BlazingBlue

BlazingBlue Regular Member

Wow! Great insight. Thanks

Ryan likes this.