Get Ready For IPS 4.0!

Discussion in 'IP.Board Discussions' started by we_are_borg, Jun 11, 2014.

1. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Regular Member

First Name:
    Jeroen
    Source: http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/400953-get-ready-for-ips-40/

IPS Community Suite 4.0, the most significant update to IP.Board and the rest of our apps we've ever made, is fast approaching a state where we'll be ready for a public preview and, soon after that, public beta testing!

We know most of you are just as excited as we are about this and can't wait to try it out.

With 4.0, we've made some significant leaps in terms of modernization, and it's possible that you might need to do some preparation before you're ready to install it. Notably, our minimum PHP and MySQL versions have gone up. It's the first time we've needed you to do this in 6 years, and the versions we need you to have have been around for a long time, we're not requiring the latest versions.

In addition, 4.0 is UTF-8 only (if you don't know what that is, it's a way text can be stored in your database which you may or may not be using at the moment) and while the 4.0 upgrade process will convert your database for you if you're not already using it, this is a moderately time-consuming process, so if you convert your database now, it's one less thing to worry about on upgrade day.

To make this process as easy as possible, we have created a little script which you can upload to your server to test if you're ready.

http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/7046-get-ready-for-ips-40/

2. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    Looks like it isn't going to be long now. Just before 3.0 was released to beta the same sort of post was made. It was about a week later and the beta group got access to the downloads.

ragtek likes this.
  3. ragtek

ragtek Regular Member

NOW i hate myself because i haven't coded & released any ipb3 addons to get into the beta group:D

4. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    I hear ya.

5. lordi

lordi Regular Member

sweet news, ah but I need to change host to meet the new requirement

6. signal500

signal500 Regular Member

Who are you currently using as a host Lordi?

7. signal500

signal500 Regular Member

Rumor has it some developers and theme makers have got the chance to work with 4.0, and we could see a few live installs within 5-8 days :)

Alfa1 likes this.