Free vs Paid software

Discussion in 'Community Forum Software' started by Patrick, May 2, 2011.

1. Patrick

Patrick Regular Member

Do you prefer to use free or paid forum software?

I myself like the free software, as it has more of a 'community input' into what goes in, what goes away, what kinds of styles are made, 3rd party add-ons, and the list goes one. As where paid software, IPB and vBulletin namely, charge you for every little change that you want to make to make your forum better and stand out more in this every growing competitive world.

2. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

I tried SMF, I didn't like it as much as I love vBulletin. So I'll go with paid software on this one. My community has a lot of unique features/plugins implemented - so its great. But I've seen some forums be successful with free software, so I guess, it depends on what you want.

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

I prefer paid software as I feel there is a reason for it being paid as generally it is of much better quality and features, along with better support.

4. Trealix

Trealix Gamer

Free is always great quality, below is 2 of the best/worse software for forums

vBulletin 4.0 = crap and worthless
    Xenforo = Worth its money

5. Coastercraze

Coastercraze Regular Member

I prefer paid software whenever possible. They tend to have a much better feel to them along with an easier way of managing things.

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

They also have superior support but the main reason is their features... which attracts people.

7. Coastercraze

Coastercraze Regular Member

True, support is superior as well (though I've only ever used vBulletin's support :P)

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Xenforo's has been great so far. Brogan (Moderator) is a big help.

9. PosterLuis

PosterLuis Regular Member

Hi all, why should we pay for a forum software while we have so good free ones such as myBB and phpBB? Ofcourse the paid ones have some advantages like all that is paid, but you can have a huge forum with a free software.

10. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

People pay when they have the ability to pay, if you cant afford it than off course there are great free solutions such as MyBB and phpBB. But overall I think Paid software is better, and made of better quality.

11. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius Regular Member

Depends on the software, in my opinion. However in general, I would go with the free software, I believe the community behind it is much larger.

12. Bamboo

Bamboo Regular Member

I prefer paid software as it normally seems more stable and some better features. But free software, like you said Patrick is more of a community software, they add what people suggest and have a lot of support.

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Yea I do agree to that, I actually enjoy the MyBB community much more than the xenforo one.. its more friendly.

14. Bamboo

Bamboo Regular Member

All I see in the MyBB community is people helping. It's a very nice community to be apart of.

15. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Yea it is.. Xenforo is all "Business". There are many rude members there as well.

16. Vanquish

Vanquish Regular Member

In terms of being a member of either of the forums, I feel that paid far outweighs free.
    Regarding the paid software, a staff team is going to feel the need to justify the cost of the forum and as a result work harder and trying to make the forum more successful and improve the community spirit.

Kaiser likes this.
  17. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Yea I agree with you, its the staff's job to get things going as well as like you mentioned improving/maintaining the community spirit.

18. TheeGiveR

TheeGiveR Regular Member

Gotta go with paid software, free software is always great but paid software is generally better. Thats just my opnion ;)

Kaiser likes this.
  19. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

I agree to that. The support and quality is always better.

20. TheVisitors

TheVisitors Regular Member

While I would prefer free to be better. Paid normally offers better features and support. Although free does not disappoint as often as paid does. Because when free software development goes south, you've typically not put much or any funds into it, as you will most likely do with paid software.

So I guess there are some pros and cons to both.

Kaiser likes this.