Forum for Facebook

Discussion in 'Web Development and Programming' started by Chris Teriakis, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Chris Teriakis

Chris Teriakis Regular Member

Hello all,

If you have some free time for testing, I'll appreciate if you give a look at my Forum for Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/3FStars/app_740284805997834

It's about a year now that I've developed it but still I'm unsure if it should be good idea to release it in public for 2 main reasons:
    1. Installing a Facebook application is not that easy for most of FB users who are operating fan pages.
    2. That dammit authorization window most probably will scare users who want to use it. For example even if my code does not uses any friend's list, the authorization says that the application requires such permission.
    PS: Please note that I'm working on redesigning the interface to make it more FB compiliant. Currently it looks like vB5 :) Eg the new editor should works exactly as Facebook "What's on your mind".

Thank you for your help
    Chris

JoeyJ likes this.
  2. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Regular Member

WOW! Looks great.

I can't give you too feedback at all because you said it all, I have found really hard times trying to install any app over Facebook and even using its developers site.

This why I'm really impressed with the job you have done setting up your forum because I have seen many apps but never a whole forum like this.

Might be worth open it to the public even if just to learn what is the response from Facebook users that you will receive.

3. Chris Teriakis

Thank you for your supporting words. Really appreciated. If you've SSL in your site I can give you the package to use it (in case that you want it).

Chris

4. WEfail

WEfail Regular Member

The integration is really nice! Use FB for what its worth!

Chris Teriakis likes this.
  5. Giselle

Giselle Regular Member

It's looking good so far. You should continue working on it until you have it exactly the way you want it. I see that you already have quite a few replies on there as well. Interesting logo too, did you do that yourself? You're giving me ideas on things I can do with FaceBook. How long did it take you to do this much work on it?

6. Chris Teriakis

Yes, everything have been done by me. I like to give my own touch to my work. I'm not professional on the meaning that I haven't studied anything. Just love coding. Was my hobby since 1984 when I was coding in Basic. The same applies with the design. I know nothing about Photoshop but Corel Photo-Paint works also fine for me.
    As for the time that I spent..... a bit more than 2 weeks. But get in account that I'm working 14 hours a day, including weekends and holidays.

Chris

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  7. Octer

Octer Regular Member

Very nice Chris! Most people won't mind the fb authorization for a brand they trust. If I was following a page, and they said they had added a forum, I wouldn't hesitate to allow the fb permissions. For the installation - why not add package that includes installation. It would mean more money in your pocket, and less support emails while coaching someone else through the process.

8. Chris Teriakis

Thank you :) For the web installation there is an installer, so the installation goes easy. The problem is with FB side installation. The user must create a FB application and then gets some details to set in the forum. Is not that difficult but at the same time not easy for someone unexperiant users who have a fan page and they just want to add a forum.

An alternative way is to host the forum in my own site and then share it, but I want the forum owner to have full access to his user database, so this is something almost impossible.

9. JoeyJ

JoeyJ Regular Member

This is seriously awesome. I would love something like this.

10. PassiveHybrid

PassiveHybrid Regular Member

The integration looks really impressive. You've done a great job with putting this one together.

Go ahead and release it to the public. You don't to wait for so long and then another social media sites comes along.

11. Chris Teriakis

Maybe there is a misunderstanding. There is no integration with any forum software there (eg vB, xF, IPB etc). Is a standalone PHP script which works as native Facebook Tab Application. This means that even if someone can read the content from the web (if he knows the URL), he can't do anything. The system needs to recognize FB enviropment to work. Nobody can login or register if he does not have FB account.

12. Chris Teriakis

AWS likes this.
  13. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
  14. Jordan

Jordan Regular Member

15. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    Chris hasn't been around in a while. It's a shame since this was a pretty cool app.

16. Chris Teriakis

17. Chris Teriakis

I'll be back soon. I like this site :) . Just busy with many things to do.

AWS and Big al like this.