E-mail Application

Discussion in 'Water Cooler' started by Tyler, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    (This could probably go in misc, but WA needed some love.)

For the longest time I have completely overlooked the beauty and ease of using an e-mail application. I've had my e-mail for as long as I can remember, but it wasn't until last night I suddenly figured out how much better it is to use an e-mail client over logging in via the web.

The main reason this happened is because I got fed up with Hotmail in Safari. If you are not a Safari user, you cannot login to Hotmail due to a never ending loop of redirections. Whenever I needed to check my e-mail I would need to specifically open Firefox. This happened a good three to four times yesterday (:p), so I decided it was time for a change.

I downloaded Thunderbird from Mozilla but I do not use it (it looks great, though). I am using the Mail application that came with my Mac and I love it. I have it set to check for new e-mail every minute and when it does I get a sound notification and counter update on my dock. It's very clean, quick, and easy. E-mail was never my thing, but I think that is about to change.

So, what do you guys use to check your e-mail?

P.S. Say I create an e-mail such as [email protected]... what would be my outgoing and incoming information? I was able to Google Hotmail's (pop3.live.com/smtp.live.com), but I do not know what I'd input for an e-mail address on one of my own domains.

2. Chris

Chris Regular Member

On both of my Macs, I use Microsoft Entourage - I personally love the interface.

3. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I don't think I've ever permanently used the web interface to check and use my e-mail. I've always used something like Outlook Express or Microsoft Outlook.

I LOVE my beloved Microsoft Outlook. I have it setup like you do where I get a sound notification and a little popup in the bottom right corner. It's sleek and smooth and I love it. Mine fetches mail every five minutes instead of every single minute.

I have nine e-mail accounts all going into my Outlook account, so it's extremely easy to monitor all accounts at once and reply promptly without having to log in and check nine web-based accounts multiple times per day. :p

Setting up your e-mail client to work with your own domains is easy. Each server is a bit different, but here is what is used for AA:

Incoming and outgoing server: mail.adminaddict.com
    Username: your_name+adminaddict.com

I think that's all you need...

4. Tom

Tom Regular Member

I use Google Applications and Windows Mail for Vista - great applications!

5. Chris

Chris Regular Member

I've never used Windows Mail - how is it?

6. Tom

Tom Regular Member

Great!

A little sophisticated and complicating but a very great program.

7. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I've always used Eudora; invaluable because I have so many email accounts from various web sites.

8. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

Crap... Probably why Microsoft discontinued it and released Windows Live Mail Desktop. People upgrading from Windows XP or Vista to the release version of Windows 7 might be able to keep Windows Mail. It doesn't exist in Windows 7 though.

That is what I use. Personally, I cannot stand webmail interfaces. Google's is too blah and difficult for me to use due to their adverse dislike of complex forms and application design standards. Windows Hotmail (where my primary email is) can get frustrating at times.

So I use Windows Live Mail Desktop client. Its free. I can send and receive on unlimited pop3 and IMAP accounts. I can use it as my news reader. It has online synchronization with my contact list and event calendar. It also supports newsgroups if I ever want to wade into that hell again.

The entire system works well for me. You probably have to have either Windows Vista or Windows 7 to use it. I use the later and have never had a problem with the Live Mail Desktop application, even though I have 30,000 emails archived.

9. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Now that you mention it, Wayne, I have used Windows Mail. That's the default application that comes standard with Windows Vista, correct?

10. Wayne Luke

11. Tom

Tom Regular Member

Correct. :)

12. Wayne Luke

13. k1234

k1234 Regular Member

Thanks Tyler and everyone for your input, i was looking for a good email application, and this helped me out. Thanks again.

14. GTB

GTB Regular Member

I use Hotmail, but never use Windows Explorer for checking email (hate the browser). I use FireFox with the plug-in called "Webmail Notifier", it checks my hotmail every 2 minutes while browsing with Firefox and lets me open them with it for reading. So I'm getting alerted to new emails all the time when using FireFox, which is the only browser I do use.

15. CubicWebsIntl

CubicWebsIntl Regular Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Microsoft Outlook or Windows Live Mail

16. hadee41

hadee41 Regular Member

I am using Microsoft that is best for me.