DogForo - Dog Discussion Forums

Discussion in 'Community Showcase' started by Martin W, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Martin W

Martin W Regular Member

I help out the day to day running of this forum and am trying to build the community. Thanks for clicking the thread :)

Site Name: DogForo
    Site URL: Dog Discussion Forum
    Short Description: DogForo is a friendly community that allows all dog owners to talk about anything relating to the topic - dogs. We have a friendly community that can give advice and more on what the best type of dog to own is, how to look after that dog and much more.

We are still a small and new community but we are growing daily. With the work of me (a well experienced administrator with clever ideas, in my opinion) and Alan (who is on the support team at myBB and knows his stuff) we hope to produce a great community for all things dogs!

So, what makes us better?
    We have taken myBB to new limits in design. Our simple approach really pulls us away from the other typical styles of forums you see around the net. As soon as you click on the forum... you see on topic, great content to join in with! We have a custom theme by Audentio and are ALWAYS working on making the forum better and better to produce a perfect community.

ai49.tinypic.com_33tqedc.png

Visit us and register today!

You can also win £100 by simply posting a picture. Click here to find out how.

Brandon likes this.
  2. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

Given the name, I honestly expected this site to be using XenForo. It does look interesting though, what with doing away with the whole categories and sections thing, although still a tad... overwhelming to a new visitor.

Brandon and Martin W like this.
  3. Martin W

Martin W Regular Member

Yeah the name was not my choice but I do not find it that bad?

We are working on the whole user friendly side to a guest as well with a welcome message ect. Thanks.

4. webaficionado

webaficionado Regular Member

Your forum looks really good! I like it that it seems very easy to use. If I were you, though, I'd move the bar at the bottom (the one with the stats, who's online, and the other links) to the top, below the banner. That way it'd be easier to notice. Just my opinion!

By the way, about the contest - is it strictly for puppies only? My dog is no puppy (she's 9), but she's actually looked exactly the same for the last 7 years, lol. Can I enter?

Martin W likes this.
  5. Martin W

Martin W Regular Member

Thanks for the comment. We are working on a sidebar with an gallery of dog pictures and we are going to work the links into there.

As for the contest. It is for puppies only sadly so I would have to say no - do you not have any puppy photos at all?

6. maksim

maksim Regular Member

You need sections. One big one is not something I would view as a visitor especially if I am searching for something specific or browsing.

7. webaficionado

webaficionado Regular Member

A gallery would look great! That's a pretty good idea.

No problem about the contest. Unfortunately, I didn't own my dog when she was a puppy, so I don't have any pictures of her during that time :( Good luck with the contest, though! :)

Martin W likes this.
  8. Martin W

Martin W Regular Member

Now that is just your opinion. I understand why you think that but the majority of people who have commented so far love this layout and makes it easier to involve on topic posts on the community.

We are currently working on a thread tagging system to make life easier but to be honest - dogs is not that wide of a topic so it is not that hard to understand where to find discussions.

9. maksim

maksim Regular Member

And how many people were turned away and would not register because it is just a bunch of stuff piled on and I have no clue what or where to look for topics I want to ask?

Think bigger... when you have more than 81 members.... do you seriously expect people to browse through a hundred pages to see if their question was asked?

Don't reinvent the wheel. It is a forum, not some new tech invention. Why is it that NOT ONE other solid forum does it that way?

If you want a chat room or a chat box, just do that. Effectively your forum is just that... a chat box.

Your smartphone forum is 100000000 time better.

Most people who do not like your layout... will just not register. They are not going to register, just to tell you your layout sucks and extremely difficult to browse.

My forum has only 5,000 members, but 98,000 unique visitors, real people. the vast majority of the people read and browse. They look for information, and will post when they can.

Your job is to make a place inviting to read, relax, hang out, and then VERY EASY to register and participate.

Brandon likes this.