Does the forum software help dictate who'll join your admin forum?

Discussion in 'Community Forum Software' started by CM30, Nov 13, 2012.

1. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

I've noticed on various admin sites I'm a member of that most members there seem to use the same script as the forum itself is running. For example, this site and Top Admin tend to attract quite a lot of XenForo users, The Admin Zone used to attract mainly vBulletin users and Another Admin Forum attracts a lot of SMF users. Is this a pattern? Do forum admins tend to mainly join admin forums using the same software that they themselves use?

Miner and Brandon like this.
  2. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

I don't believe so, its all about your content in the long run. TAZ's community is always talking about vBulletin. Thus, people find it and join the conversations.

3. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman Regular Member

I think using a software sometimes dictates it. I mean AAF has more SMF members than anything else, though I work on trying to even that out as much as possible. Its funny though about TAZ, they started out as VBAdmins and was all about vBulletin administrators, then they opened their market to other forum software.

I think once an admin forum gets into a more large active stage, that is when you will start to see people from all software walks of life :)

boatswife, Brandon and Miner like this.
  4. Miner

Miner Forum Theme designer

Yes i 50% agree, plus its the content and friendly community which attracts more then anything else.

cpvr and Brandon like this.
  5. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Not to mention all the threads about a given forum software, its not hard to attract certain people that like each type of software.:thumbsup:

6. bauss

bauss Regular Member

I don't believe it's the forum software that will decide what members will join your forum. There is much more to a forum then the software it uses like customizations. I'll join any forum that interests me if I like it, but there needs to be something unique about the forum to keep me around.

7. webaficionado

webaficionado Regular Member

Not my case. I used to have a phpBB site and I joined all kinds of admin forums back then, from IPB to vBulletin, XenForo, MyBB, etc. I don't really give much importance to what software a forum uses, as long as it looks good.