Do you use different passwords for sites?

Discussion in 'Security and Legal' started by Kaiser, Jan 7, 2011.

1. benjaminp

benjaminp Regular Member

Like most people here, I use separate different passwords for different websites. In this day and age, I think you'd be mad not to!

So far I've yet to have an account compromised and hopefully never will.

2. WEfail

WEfail Regular Member

I use a different password in every location that requires a password. That means I currently have over 150 unique passwords.
    I force all staff to rotate passwords every 90-120 days.
    About one year ago I had an administrator who had his account compromised. It was pretty simple how it was done, my admin had gone to a competitor's website where they had a script that had him enter his password twice. Originally it looked as though he may have typed this password incorrectly and he tried it again, I am guessing they wrote it to a text file somewhere so the site owner could grab it. From there that site owner went and took the password and login to our forum and commenced deleting all of our attachments and soft deleting our threads. In the end we were able to keep/restore all of our threads but we lost about one years worth of attachments. The administrator had confided in me that the password he was utilizing on my site was the same password he used across all his sites including his bank account, email, eBay and everywhere else. Until that happened I was pretty relaxed with regards to forcing staff to change their passwords. After that incident I stepped up to the amount of times a staff member would have to change their password which they found to be a huge inconvenience. Sadly across the network we ended up losing a couple of moderators because they were forced to change passwords.

3. bauss

bauss Regular Member

Nope. I use the same password on all the forums I join, but I use a different password on my own forum just in case some forum owners try and get sneaky.

4. Jessi

Jessi Regular Member

Do you have them memorized? Or do you store them somewhere?

Wow, that story sucks. Changing passwords regularly is a good idea, but it does get really obnoxious if it's forced frequently. And even so, it's not like you can guarantee they're not using passwords in other places still. That admin was....*finds some PG words to use*....well, completely out of line. :P

5. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

Of course I use different passwords for different sites. Haven't had any accounts compromised thanks to that and my use of super complex passwords.

I guess I do also store them somewhere, but thankfully not online.

6. webaficionado

webaficionado Regular Member

I do. I use different variations of a "mother password" and modify it depending on how secure it has to be. I don't use the same password I use for forums on PayPal, for example.

7. carlalexander

carlalexander Regular Member

I also do the same thing, really strong passwords for important forums or accounts and a single password for the rest of the other forums, but I also try as much as possible to have different passwords for safety purposes. :)

8. carlalexander

carlalexander Regular Member

Its always a good idea to store your passwords somewhere in say a note book or some other safe place. Some hackers can really do damage to you when they get a hold of your passwords, I am a living testimony, lol.

9. ConfabIt

ConfabIt Regular Member

I have three passwords which have varying combinations; I used these for a good few years but after having one of my online game accounts hacked I decided to go with the random letters/numbers approach. Unfortunately my flash drive with all my passwords on died recently so I've had to go and change everything again. -_-