do you think this would be a good forum?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by AllMyForums, Mar 24, 2009.

1. AllMyForums

AllMyForums Novice

I own the domain http://showcasetheworld.com

basically a photography and information forum "showcasing" the world.

you think it would work? any ideas/thoughts? :cool:

2. Crank

Crank Novice

I think it would work but will take time and effort.

Do you have many photographer friends? That is probably the most important aspect. Unless you have a great deal of money for advertising.

There are many photographers on facebook. maybe you can start lingering over there and ask what they would want to see on a full forum site. Basically, all you are providing is a place where they can meet with their costumers without incurring any extra costs(their own website).

Maybe you have to include something that will attract them like free classified ads for them to advertise and a gallery of their work.
    Maybe down the line think about a $5 donation to use those areas. BL, IMO think it will take time but is something that people will always want.

A snapshot of whatever........... will not ever...... be exactly the same.

3. AllMyForums

AllMyForums Novice

wow are you really in Afghanistan? how are things over there?

my idea to get things started would be to pay posters to post. I'd probably have to throw a few hundred dollars at that to build some content. but yea, I agree with that you say.

my tagline would be something like.."A travel information and photography site"

4. Crank

Crank Novice

Yes, I am really in Afghanistan. It has been going pretty quiet for about two weeks now. That is just where I am. Don't even ask where please.

Time is flying though. Already 4 months here and it seems it was last week I arrived. That is good.

Back to your forum:

Paying for posters can be good or bad. I have never done it but I think if you get the wrong kind of information early on the board it will be that much harder in the future to get SEO real well.

Also just because there are posts on the board does not mandate member registration. But I don't know what Im talking about I am fairly new at this and maybe you should be the one telling me how to get my board up and running.

It is pretty stale but I purchased it like that and the previous owner paid posters. That is why I am not so sure you want to do that.

I am to the point of deleting every thread and post on my board and start over again.

5. CBB

CBB Newcomer

Can be a good ideal but maybe a hack that shows the pictures at the top of the more or bottom may be good. I can't see people clicking threads non stop to see pics.

6. Crank

Crank Novice

Actually, I used to think the same way, but, look at this site I was introduced to.

It is all in Spanish but I will give you the down and dirty here.

It is a promotional forum where posting is not encouraged. It is pretty much an advertising link exchange thing.

Never seen one like it. I was emailed by the admin after he saw my Puerto Rican forum ad on facebook.

Basically he offered me a free link there until Jan 2010. Of course I said yeah. But just go in and check it out.

It is the same thing but with pictures and no re-direct.

www.boricuawebs.com

7. 3Phase

3Phase Champion

The link did not lead to a forum ... I could not tell from the webpage that it has to do with photography, it seems to be a links or advertising page? I may be missing something?

But if you are starting a photography forum, do provide the link directly to the forum. I know (know of) lots of forum people who are very interested in photography. :)

8. AllMyForums

AllMyForums Novice

LOL I havent set it up yet. the link I posted is just the domain name. I was asking if it would be a good idea ;)

I already have a photography forum if you are interested though...photo forum

---

9. 3Phase

3Phase Champion

A very nice-looking site!

I have a forum with many people who do photography seriously, both amateur and professionally. They would be the ones to ask. I will PM you to see if there is a good way to do that. :)