Do you target misspelled keywords?

Discussion in 'SEO, Traffic and Revenue' started by Soliloquy, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Many people say you should target common misspellings of your keywords in order to bring in traffic from people who make a lot of typos. But considering your goal is to get people to register and make good quality posts, is it really a good idea to try and attract people with poor spelling? Or do your users already make enough spelling mistakes that you reap the benefits of the occasional extra visitor anyway?

2. Chris

Chris Regular Member

I don't think it hurts to target such misspelling(s). Here at AA, we purchased both adminaddicts.com and adminaddicts.net for such scenarios. :)

3. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

As Chris, I don't think it hurts, reason why I found a while ago the domain "Annime.net" very useful, since it's a small misspell from Anime. Pisoga can also be misspelled like I do many times as "Piosga".

4. tryfuhl

tryfuhl Champion

First Name:
    Shawn
    not since trimming down keyword lists.. I optimize most main pages for the site/domain name and a short description of the site.. individual pages get one or two keywords, 3 max... there's not enough room for misspellings in that..

plus in targeting the keyword it should be involved in the content and there's no way that I'm filling my content with misspellings, even if there aren't enough results for misspellings that I might rank high for it

the only way that I could see myself targeting misspellings anymore would be if it was a very commonly misspelled word/name/trademark

5. Nick

Nick Regular Member

All of us make misspelling mistakes, but I don't find it to be worth it to target misspelled keywords. As for domain derivatives -- I do think it's useful to acquire misspelling variations for your domain(s).

6. Michael

Michael Regular Member

On Ebay when searching for items yes :) on our sites not really no.

7. sarahjoe

sarahjoe Regular Member

When adding tags to your posts, is it better to add tags for every single keyword you can think of, or keep it down to a select few?

8. bucket

bucket Addict

I try to think of how I was doing it in 2009.

9. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Lurker

First Name:
    David
    Google adwords has suggested some mispellings of things of the things and sites I target, but the pricing is not that much different