Do you take time out from the communities you manage?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Clickfinity, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Clickfinity

Clickfinity Regular Member

Do you ever just not login for a few days, have a break, do something different or get away from the many requests, PMs, emails, etc. that await you when you login?

2. tronik

tronik Regular Member

I always login to my forum, but I do take breaks(usually no longer then a day). Some days I don't post, but I check my site everyday, and most days I create new threads and posts.

3. dojo

dojo Regular Member

Yes, I sometimes take 2-3 days off a forum, when I am too 'burnt' out or traveling. This allows me to see how the community is doing on its own and also the chance to relax from my duties as a forum admin. Running a community is not an easy job and sometimes you need to take 2 days off. If it's a community with many problems though, you need to have a staff team in place or try to make the 'breaks' as small as possible.

4. Seahunter

Seahunter Regular Member

I wish it gets to the point where I need a break from being so busy on my forum. This has yet to happen, unfortunately.

5. Jessi

Jessi Regular Member

Yes, I do, but it's rare. More often I just pull back instead of leaving entirely. Instead of posting like crazy or reading everything, I'll only log on to deal with messages for a few days and scan over things to make sure they're doing okay.

That's one of the perks of having moderators is that if something -does- need my attention, they can get a hold of me. Once a community is established, it's a little easier to pull back every so often so I don't actually reach that point of full burnout that would force me to unplug completely.

6. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Nope. I try to add a few new threads and make as many posts as possible as I can in a day. I've taken a break in the past for about 4 weeks and my community ran fine. It was so cool to come home and see all the new users and posts.