Do any of you use Drupal as forum software?

Discussion in 'Community Forum Software' started by Akela, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Akela

Akela Regular Member

I am trying to decide what software to transfer my forum to. The forum is currently on phpBB, while the main site runs on Drupal.

The strongest contenders right now are Drupal forums and MyBB. I need a seamless integration between the main site and the forums, as I am planning to open the site up for my users to comment and host their own blogs on. (+1 for Drupal)

I have considered giving up and just using MyBB, as its is much more flexible at the moment, but there does not seem to be a good bridge for Drupal.

So, here is my question: Has anybody here used Drupal as forum software? Did you feel limited by it? If so, in what way?

Whatever else you can say about using Drupal forums, I would be happy to hear it.

2. onlineearner123

onlineearner123 Regular Member

NO...i have never used drupal as my forum software :P :)

3. Vekseid

Vekseid Regular Member

Late reply, much? >_>

Drupal's forums are workable, particularly with Michelle's Advanced Forum mod. But Drupal is primarily a blogging platform that has a rather mediocre forum attached to it, and everything you do still faces one, primary problem - access control.

It's easy to create different <i>types</i> of content with different access, but if you want to create special forums for special members and permissions to go with them, you need to add an often buggy ACL which doesn't always play nicely with all of the forum features you want.

If your forum is largely a public, one-size-fits-all venue, it can work great, however.

2 people like this.
  4. elinavelly

elinavelly Newcomer

Nope... I also didn't try Drupal as my forum software.