Discussion Junkies

Discussion in 'Community Showcase' started by Azhria lilu, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Azhria lilu

Azhria lilu Regular Member

Discussion Junkies started life as a fan site for the TV Show Alias. When the show ended and converation about the show started to dry up, the site evolved into a general TV discussions site but due to people finding other things to talk about the decision was made to change focus slightly and expand into a general discussions forum and containing over 1.6 million posts, there is a lot of topics already in place waiting for people to read and comment on!
    DJ1.png

We are running on XenForo 1.2 and using Arty's Soft Responsive and Coffee Responsive Styles, which have been customised (and are still being tweaked), we recently installed a Gallery for our members use as well as Post Ratings and many other little tweaks around the site to make our members stay even more entertaining and enjoyable.

gallery.png

We also have a little unique feature that's available to our regular members (30 posts and 3 days registration) called Persona's. All visitors can see the persona's, but only our regular members can choose one to display within the postbit.

personas.png

We're still very focused on tweaking the style for a little more uniqueness as well as adding features for our members use.

Brandon and Xenon like this.
  2. Xenon

Xenon Regular Member

Beautiful site, Azh. Coming along well. :)

Azhria lilu likes this.
  3. thebrad

thebrad Regular Member

Its pretty active i like i love the theme and the banner i can see why the forum consists of so many posts the design is very user friendly and Shaun is a great staff member i worked with him on PromotionZone.

Azhria lilu likes this.
  4. mscuban

mscuban Regular Member

The personas are cute! I'm not real sure about that color shade though. It's a subdued shade but I'm not sure how easy it would be on the eyes. It is something I might be interested in interacting with.

Azhria lilu likes this.
  5. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Oh I found the brown style in the screenshots, fyi the white style is set as default. ;)

Azhria lilu likes this.
  6. Code Monkey

Code Monkey Regular Member

I've never seen that persona chooser before. Is that custom?

7. Azhria lilu

There are two styles available - the soft responsive (blue) which is the default.. and Coffee Responsive, which is the one I used in the screenshots :)

Yeah Soft Responsive is the default, Coffee Responsive is a secondary option :)
    Yep... it's based upon the Mood mod but tweaked to fit what we wanted it to do.

8. mscuban

mscuban Regular Member

OMG, how do I use the coffee? lol and where????????

9. Azhria lilu

LOL it's available in the footer of the site

coffee.png

mscuban likes this.
  10. mscuban

mscuban Regular Member

As soon as it's all set up, I'm signing up for sure. I like it.

11. Azhria lilu

It's set up already :) we've added lots more new features too.

12. s.molinari

s.molinari Regular Member

Some inventive stuff there. Does the persona also determine the user's title? If not, I would suggest, when the mouse is hovering over the persona, it says what the persona is or should indicate.

Also, you are missing "chill pill" in your collection of pokes. I like the pokes.;)

Scott

Azhria lilu likes this.
  13. Azhria lilu

No, the Persona doesn't determine the user title :) we're actually working on getting persona's to show what it is beneath the images, but haven't quite figured it out yet!

Chill pill.. good idea! Will get one added in. :thumbsup:

14. Azhria lilu

An update:-

New forums, new sidebar, new Notable Member List.

We have revamped our sidebar. A couple of features are the User Block.
    users.png

And our Share/Social Block
    share.png
    We have also added an Affiliates area, and hope some forums will be interested in a link exchange (there will be stipulations on the type of sites we want to advertise listed soon).
    affiliates.png

Another new feature we have added in DJ After Dark. We won't release how to gain access, but once in, we have two special areas that are designated for Anonymous posting.

afterdark.png

We have also expanded our movies section.

movies.png

Added some funky thread prefixes in certain areas (more to come)
    prefixes2.png

And, as mentioned by @s.molinari, we've looked at the FB pokes and taken them a step further:-
    pokes.png

We've also just added a Quotations section, but that's still in progress so not shots of that yet :)

We are always up for suggestions or ideas. We still have a few other things we'd like to implement as well.

15. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Just a pity with "Thread Prefixes" in XenForo, that you cannot add more than one at a time to a topic. In most cases that wouldn't matter, but such as adding Movies that get listed under more than one searchable Prefix (like Genre), makes it somewhat limited to me. Something I'd like to see changed in XenForo future versions, so you can add multiple prefixes to a topic.

Snap1.png

Even on my Markeplace forum multiple prefixes comes in handy. A person can add "Selling or Swapping" prefix. Should they be willing to sell or take a swap.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
    Azhria lilu likes this.
  16. Azhria lilu

It's something I was thinking about and I might well see if I can get it coded.

17. s.molinari

s.molinari Regular Member

Theoretically, if prefixes are in a database table, changing the system to have a multiple prefix selection shouldn't be all that hard. However, a list of threads could get a bit ugly and harder to read, if each of the threads had a good number of prefixes.

Scott

18. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Yes, that can be seen on my forum because thread prefixes gets displayed in-line before thread title. But that's more a cosmetic issue which could be solved better in XenForo, maybe showing prefixes on a new line below thread title (using a small font). Or maybe a drop-down box you click, similar to how sub-forums are displayed in XenForo listing thread prefixes used. Either way, that can be got around with multiple prefixes.

19. Azhria lilu

I think so long it was limited to 2 or 3, it would be okay.. anything more than that would be a definite nightmare.