Discussing Team Additions with Current Moderators

Discussion in 'Member and Staff Management' started by Nick, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Nick

Nick Regular Member

When you are considering adding a new moderator to the team, do you consult your existing moderating team? Do you like to get their input and opinions? If so, does their feedback on the potential candidate have an effect on your decision?

2. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Yes, definitely. I've taken suggestions from them on who should be promoted, and they were right; it was a good choice.

3. kev

kev Regular Member

The person is put to a vote and approved by the other moderators. There is usually at least a 1 week discussion on the person before the vote is final.

4. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

Yes, we discuss it, but at the end of the day, its an admin decision.

5. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

If there is a user who wants to be added to the mod team he has to get all the mods approval.

6. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Yes - I love hearing their feedback and/or personal opinion(s). While the choice is ultimately mine, it's always nice to be aware of what your fellow, already existing staff team thinks about the candidates at hand and/or the final decision made.

7. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

It's also useful to find out in advance if any of your existing mods have a problem with the prospective new one.

8. kneel

kneel Regular Member

First I run it by my right hand man...my one and only supermod/asst.admin. Then we talk it over and if its all good after that we put it out to the other mods...then if theres no problems its a go!! Usually takes 3-5 days or so..give or take.

9. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Right on, Michelle - before making any sort of addition to the staff team, making sure that your already existing staff team "approves" of the candidate(s) being considered is crucial. You never know... the new addition(s) could prove to be an absolute mistake in the long-run.

... that would not be good!

10. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Lol, exactly what I do.

11. BananaQueen

BananaQueen Grand Master

First Name:
    not telling anyone ;)
    last time we needed a new moderator we had a thread on it in the staff room, where the staff discussed which members they thought would be best at the job, and worked out which one would be the best for the job. we make sure that none of the members have any objections to the new staff member, and if we all agree, they can join, although it is only a small team, if it was a bigger team, this way might be harder.

12. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

Yes, it is discussed in our moderator meetings or in the moderator forum beforehand. Even though it is ultimately my choice, I still love to get the feedback and buy-in of my current staff to avoid or squash any potential issues right from the start. :D

13. Akela

Akela Regular Member

I post a thread in the admin-only forum for each prospective mod candidate. This marks beginning of the official "watch" of the person.

The moment the thread is started they may not have enough posts to be considered seriously, but what they have must look promising.

Each thread gets deleted if the mod gets approved, so that everyone feels free to say whatever they like about the candidate :)

If all of the active moderators do not agree on the team addition, s/he does not get promoted, no matter how much I might potentially like them. This never happens, though. My existing mods are all intelligent people. If they disapprove of someone, there is always a convincing reason for it.

14. Glen

Glen Newcomer

First Name:
    Glen
    We have a thread in the moderators lounge where you can request people to be mod but as far as hiring only the admins and CM can decide and discuss.

If mods disagree or have a problem with our choice we are always here to listen to what they have to say, if I am honest I have never had a dispute with a previous mod over the hiring of a new mod.