Did you design your site layouts yourself or get someone else to make them?

Discussion in 'Skinning, Design and Graphics' started by CM30, Jul 11, 2013.

1. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

Which one did you do and why (I'm counting pre made themes as the latter here)?

Myself, I mostly make my own themes and templates. Good practice for a job in website design/development, and saves a significant amount of money that'd otherwise need to be spent on a professional designer.

What do you do for your site layouts/themes?

2. bosconian

bosconian Regular Member

I'm just like you. I always design my own sites. I'm not a graphics designer so I always base my designs on many themes. I take ideas from many sites and put them all together in mine.

3. thebrad

thebrad Regular Member

I don't make my own i have no time to update my forum and make updates at the same time.. it may seem lazy but i don't currently i'm working on the wordpress blog and a few other updates so designing my own themes is not going to happen, i probably could but ill leave it to the professionals.

4. SimplySidy

SimplySidy Website Consultant, Developer and Strategist

I never am good with the colors. So what else can I do? I create the layouts, get a friend of mine to add the colors and make it look appealing if not great. Then I code the layout into valid HTML CSS and whatever else might be needed. Wish there was someone who could help me understand and solve the puzzle of colors for me.

5. NotoriousMK

NotoriousMK Regular Member

I used to design from scratch but VB4 i took a vbseo scheme and changed the rest.

6. BeoR

BeoR Regular Member

We bought a theme and modified it to our liking. :)

7. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I haven't done anything new recently and I can't draw at all, but I've made many of my own templates by buying stock vector illustrations (or paying an artist to do a custom illustration) and turning it into a template. Vector graphics are the best to use for this purpose because you can change colors, move, and resize elements easily. (Plus if you don't use too much shading or gradients you have smaller file sizes, which is pretty important for forum graphics.)

8. Hanaseru

Hanaseru Regular Member

I tend to find layouts online, then modify them to fit my needs.

9. bauss

bauss Regular Member

My forum theme was a premade theme that I made a lot of customizations too. I'll hire a designer for a new IPB theme when I can afford it, and get the designer I want.