Custom Skin

Discussion in 'Skinning, Design and Graphics' started by Nick, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Do you use your forum script's default skin/theme, do you use a free one provided by designers, do you purchase a skin, or do you code your own?

I really wish I had the skills to design themes; I have had so many great ideas in the past, but I just can't possibly apply them and make them real.

2. PBNJ

PBNJ Regular Member

I use free styles/skins.

One site has a custom design that was coded by one of the original admins.

Yes, Peggy was the designer.

-Raymond

3. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    Haha, me too.

I've got an old layout for a forum I wanted called "That's Life" on paper somewhere in my room. I literally drew the forum homepage, loved it, and then gave myself my own encore and did a member profile. That's something I wish I could make real, but I really lack in the designing department.

4. Jake Sullivan

Jake Sullivan Regular Member

Design is very simple and easy to pick-up. I personally use the default vBulletin style; it's clean, simple and it's perfect for our products to showcase its full integration abilities.

5. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I don't mind the vBulletin default style, but imagine if half of the forums out there used it.
    Forums would become very boring and they wouldn't have any unique individualization.

But I think the default skin is perfectly fine for forums that specialize in the vBulletin niche -- like yours.

6. Webmist

Webmist Champion

First Name:
    Jen
    I like changing things around. So I'll use anything I find interesting. At moments I'll get a creative burst and do something myself. Which by that time I can just play with css I have to update my master templates too. :ohi:

7. Daniel

Daniel Regular Member

While I'm not the best at designing my own themes, I am a strong believer that a custom theme is one of the keys to forum success. A unique, well designed theme can make or break a forum.

8. xRustySpoon

xRustySpoon Newcomer

I actually design vB and IPB forum skins.

Heres a few:

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/AirForceOne1/Personal/Templates/OrangeForumTemplate.png

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/AirForceOne1/Personal/Templates/DynastyBluePublicPicV2.png

I picked up photoshop to cure boredom, and I guess it's led me to creating company websites, forum skins, and the creation of logos. Who would have thought :P

But to answer the question, no I've never bought a template before. I either use freebies, use the default, or make my own.

9. islesv

islesv Novice

As I am not a good designer, and I don't have the money to pay someone to create a custom design for me, I just get one of those free themes offered on the Net.

10. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Those are pretty nice. I really love the Dynasty Blue. :)

11. Jason1988

Jason1988 Newcomer

First Name:
    Jason
    I usually use a free skin first, until I purchase one. But if I could code my own, that would be great.

12. xRustySpoon

xRustySpoon Newcomer