Contest Idea's

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Bill Hughes, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Bill Hughes

Bill Hughes Regular Member

I am sure this has been posted a million time's. So what kind of contest have you ran for your forum's. My forum is located at: http://forum.orpgcreator.com and Ive tried to run a few cash and domain contest before within the community and failed before but activity is starting to pick up "slightly" 5 active members. LOL but its something and few strollers. So I am also wondering if I should make the contest to outside the community.

As a programmer, I can have an in depth contest where it be a point based system and code for SMF as its easy to code, and make it section based where users get points for replying and creating topics in each section of the forum. and give away cash prizes for different sections. Or should I just start a simple contest. ;-)

Brandon likes this.
  2. Cerberus

Cerberus Admin Talk Staff

There are 2 types of contests, the kind that generate content, the kind that make you money. First, you must decide which you want to do. A lot of sites benefit more in making money than content, simply because they do not have many active members. You can not have a post contest if you have 5 to 10 people posting. It is a waste of your time really.

So, make a choice and decide what kind you want to do. Then after deciding choose a prize that your members like. I see a lot of time people giving away prizes no one wants. And those who do want it come to the site to win it and when it is over they leave. Again, not helping the site..

My favorite is a raffle to be honest. 1 raffle can pay for hosting for a whole year, which gives you time to do whatever, and regardless if the people who participate in the raffle never come back, you have gotten help for your site. But, that is just my opinion :)

Bill Hughes likes this.
  3. nav0413

nav0413 Regular Member

When I hear that word ,I feel like I'm in love and I don' t no why?:P

4. ld762

ld762 Regular Member

What do you mean by starting the contest outside the community?