Content Distribution Networks (CDN)

Discussion in 'Domains, Hosting and Servers' started by roboto, May 30, 2013.

1. roboto

roboto Newcomer

First Name:
    roboto
    Hello -

Does anyone have any experience with some of the top tier CDN's out there? I have been debating between Akami, Tata, and Peer 1 for one of my growing phpFox groups, as my current server cannot handle the load (dedicated quad core xeon).

I was wondering if geolocation based caching is a suitable option for CDN - rather than dip into the phpFox code and make changes.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Roboto

2. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    I've have been using Softlayer cloud service to host all the images, css and js on my biggest community. I can say that it can and does get expensive. I am in the process of building servers for that site now. It's cheaper to colocate new servers than pay for the CDN.

3. roboto

roboto Newcomer

First Name:
    roboto

Nice to get your take on this - as I was debating the long term costs of CDN vs additional servers that are colocated within the same datacenter, or another datacenter on the same backbone - for a disaster recovery type scenario.

I am currently using ServerBeach 'hosted' colo facilities, however I am at the whim of the monthly 'rent' rate of the server, they charge for each gig of memory, drive, and additional feature, right down to the license of Redhat. Perhaps a true colo center would be an option where I bring in my own hardware and just pay for a half rack and a 100mbit pipe. What are your rates for racks and a 10mbit or 100mbit full duplex connection in your area? Not quite sure what is considered a decent price for something like that.

Which leaves me to my next question - will have to dig around and see if there are such facilities in my area.

Appreciate your insight!