Changes Coming to AA

Discussion in 'Admin Talk Support & Feedback' started by Nick, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Hi guys,

Well some of you have noticed our little hints of changes to be coming to AA. Originally, we intended to simply roll these features out and let you guys enjoy the surprise.

We've decided though, that it would be better to receive your input and feedback as things went along. We love feedback (as you know) so any ideas generated from our already-existent list of things we hope to bring to AA, are greatly appreciated and we are all ears.

So here's the list of things we aspire to have coded exclusively for AA, by a coder we've contracted:

• Streamlined and intuitive registration process (AJAX and Lightbox technology)
    • A highly customized "Graphics Center" where designers can upload their work and others can browse, rate, comment and download the graphics. This is an attempt to move away from the usual forum/threaded interface for graphics resources.
    • Marketplace - again, highly customized and unique - we want a marketplace that makes buying, selling, trading and hiring easy and effective.
    • A new custom homepage
    • (Possibly) WordPress and vBulletin integration that actually works.
    • (Possibly) an Articles center, for members to post, browse and read articles. We may be attempting to move away from the blog solution
    • Customized member profile pages - moving as far away from the vBulletin default as possible
    • Updated style; similar to what we have, but modernized and a bit more web2.0-like.
    Please know that by the time we're done, some of these ideas will have been implemented, some may have been scrapped, some may be modified, and some may be stems of several revolutions to come. It's just a general roadmap of what we want to do.

We would love to hear your thoughts on the changes we plan to make, as well as any suggestions that you have in mind. We're really wanting to get creative, unique, exclusive, and most of all resourceful.

I look forward to reading all of your feedback.

2 people like this.
  2. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    Isn't this supposed to be in announcements? :P

3. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Could be. But since we're seeking members' input and advice as we go along, I figured suggestions/feedback would be a more suitable location. :p

4. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

:lol:

(sorry just struck me funny)

I'll comment one thing at the moment:
    If someone put up something on AA in a thread somewhere that needed to be put in the new marketplace, could that thread be moved? Or would it be a solution outside vB itself?

I've been on large forums as a moderator where they had a separate advertisement system. For sale threads could not be moved into that system and people who started threads that could be considered an ad were deleted and user diffracted. Huge amount of work for the moderators (as opposed to a classifieds forum where the thread could be moved to) and caused many hard feelings.

Usually people would either plead ignorant or complain that 'nobody went there'.

I realize the members of AA are a whole nuther level than the average user, but still it could cause some issues.

5. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Good question, to be honest.

The solution certainly won't be outside of vB. Everything on the list is going to be built around vB so that we have consistent and fully-functional integration.

If you look at our current Marketplace page, it's just a feed from the Marketplace forum. We want to vastly improve this and provide use of the Marketplace via the tab at the top.

We aren't exactly sure how every item on the list is going to be done. We still have a lot of conceptual stages to get through. This is why I've posted this thread publicly, so we can work together with the community. Afterall, it's you guys who will be using it, so we value your input, ideas and suggestions.

We will be sure to keep you updated as decisions are made and plans are conjured up.

6. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

So a really cool box will pop out???

As Abomination commented with the marketplace, what if people post in the wrong section, will the format be the same or could this distort the message in a way that it would look...wierd?

If not, would this be a completely different page in the forum itself or would it be integrated in the forum?

So... would this be similar to the graphic design area? Would it be integrated IN the forum or another page?

Would these articles be approved by a moderator first or submitted like we do here?
    Would users be able to customize themselves?
    Please not bulky!!

7. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

Sounds like it will all be worked out :thumbup:

That is probably one of the only inputs you will get from me, others are much more qualified on the gui stuff.

8. John

John Regular Member

This sounds really great and I really like that you will changes the user profiles since I am not a big fan of vBulletins default one.

Will you wait with all this until vBulletin 4 or will you have this made for vBulletin 3?

9. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Ideally, we'd like to get this done as soon as possible. It all depends on the member feedback we receive and the time in which we receive it. :)

10. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

I like the profiles as they are. They're easy to customize (tho I haven't yet), and easy to navigate.

11. John

John Regular Member

Just curious who will you hire to do this custom coding? Or will you do it yourself?

12. Tom

Tom Regular Member

So no AdminAddict attire?

13. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

If you get this completed, please let me know who you hire to do it and how much they'd be willing to do another integration for. I've been wanting to get someone to do this that I could trust. I have one possible person, but he's WAY too backed up with work to take on my project. So, if I could get one done (maybe as part of the coding package you guys are working ;) ), then I'd love to do it.

I think that the ideas are pretty cool and I'm very happy that you guys aren't resting on your laurels, but rather looking to continually improve the experience and features here on AA. :thumbup:

14. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Thanks, Arny! I will be sure to let you know if we do it. If not, I'll see if our coder can do it and if all goes well with him, I'd be glad to recommend 'em to 'ya. :)

15. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

Thanks Nick. Is the coder someone you trust already or hope to build your trust through this project?

16. Nick

Nick Regular Member

The latter. They have impressed so far by showing some past work, so I hope we've got a winner. :)

17. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

Very cool...I'll be interested to see how things develop! Hopefully the project(s) will be handled it within the timeframe allotted and at the same quality that you expect! :thumbup:

18. Bundy

Bundy Admin Talk Staff

I like everything that has been said in this thread. All the changes seem extremely well thought out and for the better of the community as a whole.

I think it's great and I will be around (I hope :p) to see it all the way though :)

19. Tom

Tom Regular Member

So my post was completely disregarded, right... :mad:

20. Nick

Nick Regular Member

No. Your made a post and we read it.