Can your community run without your presence?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by cpvr, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Jessi

Jessi Regular Member

You don't trust them enough?

As in, you think they would do something negative while you were away? Or you just don't think they would continue adding content without you? If it's the former, then I have to wonder what kind of staff you have...

2. Superboy

Superboy Most Likely, I'm Insane.

lol i trust them not to do anything negative but they are already lazy enough as it is so if i disappeared for a few days or a week post count would drop significantly....it happened last week.
    I'm student body president so i had to spend 2 days finishing up plans for our school social....After a month of me being there all day and averaging 700-1,000 posts each day...the two days i need to take off to focus on school event, the first day the post count dropped down to 200 and the second day was 320 lol.

I asked how come they didn't try and start topics and their response was "I usually don't think to start topics" lol.
    Ha i am hoping for positive changes in 2013 :P

3. Jessi

Jessi Regular Member

Lol! Well if you were there, posting THAT many every single day, then holy cow. There's no way you can expect the community to run smoothly and just as efficiently without all that content. You're lucky that you still got 200-300 posts a day.

4. Superboy

Superboy Most Likely, I'm Insane.

I know i shouldn't complain about leveling out at 200 posts or so per day...but i guess it goes with my perfectionist attitude.
    I know a lot of sites are lucky to get that many in a week but i guess it bugs me to know that the site has so much potential(we've hit 1,500 posts in a a day a couple of weeks ago...adn for a site that only has 30 active members...and 20 of those 30 actually post, that was a big deal to me) yet we are reaching our potential.

5. dojo

dojo Regular Member

Yes and sometimes they do. When I have to do a lot of web design work, I can't be active in my forums at the same time so few days might pass and I won't log in. There's no problem though, spam doesn't get through and my members post and share information as if I was there.

6. bauss

bauss Regular Member

I don't think so, and I don't want to leave for a week to find out. I'll take a day off from my forum every so often, and we'll still receive posts but it would fade away if I left the forum any longer.

7. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

I took a break over the weekend and only had hotel wifi, but my community was running fine without me for those couple days.

So, I agree, a lot of people can run their community without actually being involved because if your members care, they're going to take charge just like your staff members when you're not around to post and/or make new threads.

I think it's also a good idea when you return to your community to add new content and reply to whatever topics you may have missed.

8. carlalexander

carlalexander Regular Member

I would say that it is possible, but it is always safe when you keep a look out for members who are out to break the rules and just be plain chicky in the forum. The safest time to be away from your forum I would say is 2 days to 3 days max. Plus members would easily notice your absence.

9. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

That's why I try to add as much content on my community during the weekdays, so my members have a lot of threads to reply to when I'm on break during the weekends.