Bizarre web browser/vb forum issue

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by Abomination, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

From my main computer every site works at the moment except mine. When clicking anywhere on my forums the 'circle thingy' that indicates that the page is loading in the tab goes round and round and never times out, the green bar indicating the page is loading shows no progress at all. This seems to happen after a while then I need to reboot my main computer.

My site works great on a different (spare) computer we have. XP with fire fox 3.0

I even resorted to typing in the IP, and the splash page came up.
    http://__.__.___.___/~accountusername/

I clicked on the 'enter' button which should have gone to www.mydomain.com/forums

And the same result.

Input as to what might be happening? Why just my site which is extremely close to being unmodified, some color changes and a few other things. I realize that FF 3.0 has a memory issue, but why my site only?

:confused:

2. Michael

Michael Regular Member

The only thing I can think of is your IP is being temporarily blocked by your servers firewall, maybe contact your host and ask them if your IP has been temp blocked by the firewall as this happens to me all the damn time. Just one possibility that I can think of.

3. techit

techit Addict

First Name:
    Prabh
    can you replicate this with any other browser on your main coomputer...??

4. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

I've got 2 computers on the same router. One is a spare for testing purposes. One works and the other primary computer suddenly stopped working just on my own site. They are both on the same IP.

Yes I can, but I'd rather not change things on the main development computer.

5. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

Update. Rebooting the computer did not fix the connection.

As bizarre as this may sound I resorted to connecting the main computer to the router with a cable as opposed to wireless. That was a few days ago for about 10 minutes. Ever since then everything has been fine.

:shrug:

6. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Is this IP the same as the one you were getting with the wireless? Glad it is solved and at least wired is better than wireless, well at least for speed and security :thumbup:

7. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

Same IP. It is a DSL modem and 3 computers connect to it, and all have the same IP. I like using wireless, yes I realize it is not as secure but more easier than a wire to trip over. Appreciate you trying to help. : )

8. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Youre welcome, it was a rather odd problem you were having there, I would use wireless but I would be concerned about the security mostly as I have always had friends saying things like oh I get my internet for free, I just tap into the guys upstairs etc etc lol I havent even delved into wireless just yet because of those comments :D

9. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

Its not that hard to enable WEP or WPA for wireless....please don't take that as a digg.

Most ppl get tapped into b/c they just turn the thing on.

@Abomination - that to me sounds like a DNS issue. It got flushed when you had a new IP acquired. All assumption on my part, but that is what it appears to be.

10. Michael

Michael Regular Member

I wont take that as a digg at all, I honestly have never used it before so I dont have a clue about any protection methods at all such as WEP/WPA.

I agree with the DNS thing, that seems to be the only possibility.

11. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

If I may go a little OT here, then I'd suggest those of you using wireless to become familiar with your security. There is not 1 negative thing to say about it.

1) you ensure you are using your bandwidth

2) you ensure you do not get wrongly accused of misuse

3) piece of mind in knowing your safe and know how it works

you can find online the manual to any router. People leave the default settings, thus can actually log into it remotely to take full control or just use it for free internet.

The manual's nowadays are pretty good about step by step setup for the security. Basically, you set the protocol (WEP or WPA). WEP generates a massive key, which you use to enter from the client (laptop or desktop with wireless card). WPA, has some variants of it, but you setup a simple password in lieu of the long WEP code. WPA is considered the most bulletproof against direct compromise. But really, you have to be a target for someone to want to take your system.

Food for thought.