Biggest Mistake You've Made as an Administrator

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Nick, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Nick

Nick Regular Member

What would you say is the biggest single mistake you have made in your time as a forum administrator?

2. Chris

Chris Regular Member

When I was "new" to the forum world, one of the biggest mistakes that I made was creating an inordinate amount of categories and boards, filling the forum index page. On one of my very first forums, I remember creating a total of 10 categories and 50 different boards within them - keep in mind, this was a brand new board with no activity.

It looked daunting, to say the least. :D

3. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Uhh, =\ When I first became an admin and I didn't let the users know who was who.

4. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

Almost deleted the admin and my own accounts.

:doh:

Maybe the most common mistake is moving a thread into the public site office instead of the private site office. It was supposed to be a private conversation but was not. Good thing nothing too bad was said.

5. Bretteo

Bretteo Newcomer

First Name:
    Brett
    Not backing up, my old host who i will never use had some downtime but when they came online my entire site and forum had gone and i had never taken a backup.

6. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Ugh, that's never fun. A few years back, my dedicated server provided crapped the bed (suddenly) and I was left without a backup.