BIG Forums Not Enjoyable?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Kaiser, May 21, 2011.

1. moneymakingmom

moneymakingmom Regular Member

I've been on forums like that before and it can be a very alienating experience. No one is listening to anyone but themselves. Seems like all the forum members are shouting at one time just to be heard, trying to drown out the others. It comes across as chaos, no better than a SPAM advertising forum where everyone is posting spam ads constantly, over riding the previous posts. I'm not saying that forum doesn't have quality content, in places. But, there's just so many people vying for attention. How can you possibly get noticed. Sometimes, I think it would be better if they split those large forums into four smaller more manageable forums. Think four times the advertising revenue.

Ashley.S. likes this.
  2. SpacewardAsh

SpacewardAsh Lurking From Space

First Name:
    Ashley
    Yea, I know how that feels. When I helped run an advertising forum, there were just tonnes and tonnes of threads of adverts from people that would rarely get seen, so we took the decision to start to split things up, and it helped out a lot.

moneymakingmom likes this.
  3. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius Regular Member

Yeah, it's an alienating experience I have to agree, but I found that if you keep trying and stay awhile you can gradually get to be a respected regular of the community.
    Though maybe I haven't been on as large of a forum as you're talking about.

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Yea it really depends on the size of the forum..

5. lucasbytegenius

I guess so. I've only been a part of 1m posts and smaller communities with about 50-100 members online daily, so maybe that isn't up to what other people here are talking about.

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Forums with 1 million posts are big enough. Forums like DigitalPoint, and Hackforums are very big.

7. lucasbytegenius

Yes, I'm a member on Hackforums for educational reasons ;) Somebody there did leak a MyBB exploit, which helped me prevent it from being used until the MyBB Group released an update.
    It's definitely quite busy over there, there's like 20-30 new topics in each section a day, and I'm not sure how the mod team is keeping up with it all. Huge job.

8. euantor

euantor Regular Member

I must say that I prefer smaller scale forums like this one. Once it gets to the point that certain threads are ignored, I start to be put off a forum.

Kaiser and Ashley.S. like this.
  9. SpacewardAsh

First Name:
    Ashley
    Same here, especially if it's your threads your posting and they are being ignored, etc.

10. euantor

euantor Regular Member

Exactly. I've seen it happen countless times too (I often come across many while searching on google) and it gets really frustrating.

Kaiser and Ashley.S. like this.
  11. SpacewardAsh

First Name:
    Ashley
    yea, that's why I just tend to avoid big forums all together

Kaiser likes this.
  12. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Yea same here, thats my main reason for avoiding a big forum. First they are not much of a community, and your threads always go unheard most of the time, and the staff don't do a good enough job of moderating forums big like that.

13. Savvy

Savvy Regular Member

I honestly don't like big forums. To tell the truth Forum Promotion is too big for my taste even. That's why I only really go around FP to promote my forum. I have posted in a few other threads but not much at all. It's just hard to get into a huge community because there are so many users to meet and on top of that you've missed out on a lot of the forum's history.

Kaiser likes this.
  14. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Yea I feel you, thats how it is for me one other webmaster forums such as DigitalPoint, or SitePoint. But I am fine with FP as I joined it back in 2009.

15. Shortie861

Shortie861 Regular Member

I always feel I can't enjoy a big forum, so much going on which can confuse. If I have been a member on a forum right from the start and used it on a regular basis and it's become a big forum it is different though as you are a long standing member and you have gradually got used to how busy the forum is.

Kaiser likes this.
  16. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Yea, thats why I dont have a problem with ForumPromotion.net, but if I were to join it right now I would not be an active member there considering how big and active it is.

17. Chris Grigg

Chris Grigg Regular Member

I must agree. Big forums like that have so many posts that a lot of them go unread by most people because they get pushed to other pages because of how fast the members are posting. I mean, it shows a good thing that a lot of active people are there, but also a bad thing when you want everyone to look at one topic..

18. Joe.

Joe. Regular Member

Forums huge as digital point arent really enjoyable for me. I feel like I am lost in a crowd.

Kaiser likes this.
  19. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Tell me about it, I dont even bother with that community except for buying and selling. Nothing more to do there for someone like me.

20. Matthew

Matthew Regular Member

To me, it's a case by case thing. Some larger forums have closer knit communities so I don't mind them as much. But, there are forums that are huge and it seems like everyone is just talking to themselves.

The forums that are huge tend to have a community that seems hard to become apart of because everyone already knows each other and they tend to ignore the new members.

Ashley.S. and Kaiser like this.