Anyone using PhotoPlog?

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by ArnyVee, Jun 7, 2009.

1. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

I've installed PhotoPlog (lite version for now) and I'm kinda wondering if anyone has PhotoPlog installed and how do you like it?

Also, have you done any cool customizations that might not be listed out there on the support sites? Please share if you have! :)

And finally, is the paid version worth purchasing? What sort of improvements come into play once you go "pro"?

2. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I love PhotoPlog and so do my members. It's one of my favorite add-ons for my community.

Yes, I do have the Pro version (I went for a year with the Lite version and recently took the plunge to Pro) and my members love it even more! It's packed with quite a few more features than the Lite version.

My favorite aspect of it, I must say, is the Random Thumbs on the forum home. I don't know why, but I find that to be very nifty.

I haven't done any extravagant customizations at all, but it's still wonderful. Feel free to check it out: The Linnie Blog - PhotoPlog - Gallery

Moved to Community Software

3. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

I have used it in the past. Originally I had a license for vBGallery but when the entire copyright issue happened in vBAdvanced lost the program to Photopost, I didn't want to use it anymore. I have personal issues with some of the Photopost staff so won't use their products. Anyway...

The answer was Photoplog Pro. It was a handy little tool and did what we needed it to. I don't run the site where it was installed but still have an active license of the software. There should be a Photoplog Lite download that you can try before you buy. That is what I did before.

4. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

I don't like it at all. My gallery of choice has been vBPicGallery.
    However, since the albums came out and I decided that I didn't need all of the bells 'n' whistles in a gallery, I use only the album features.

5. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Peggy, I'm not questioning your opinion, but why do you prefer vBPicGallery? I've never looked at or even considered anything other than PhotoPlog so I'm open to being convinced. :)

6. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

I actually setup vBPicGallery and for some reason it just isn't a good solution for my folks. They just couldn't get used to it. I paid for Greg's work, but he didn't have time to follow up with me on some questions that I had and I just went away from using it. I think that the "lite" version of PhotoPlog works well and is VERY simple (which is what my Disney members need).

I can see one feature that I'd like from the "pro" version of PhotoPlog and that is the multiple upload picture option. :D

What other stuff Nick does your community (or you) enjoy from the upgrades?

7. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Arny, we are a very picture-heavy community. We have over 3,000 attachments uploaded and over 600 pictures in the gallery, and our forum is only a bit over one year old. Tell me this isn't a lot of pictures. :lol:

All of the trivial little features that the Pro version has makes it a much better browsing experience for the members. Being able to see "latest uploads" or "highest rated images" are two examples.
    Some of the more notable features are the slideshow ability, functionality to upload more than one picture at once (this was a BIG deal :p), ability to uploaded batches of images as a 'set' (example), and albums are all things that come with Pro only - and my members love all of them.

Oh, and I'm partial to the Lightbox functionality. A.ma.zing. :lol:

8. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

Nick, you do a better job of selling it than Morgan does! :D

By the way, were there any issues with the upgrading of the lite to the Pro versions? Any tips or tricks that you stumbled upon?

9. Nick

Nick Regular Member

To be honest, I cannot completely recall. Nothing I did required any consultation of the support forums, so I think you should be good to go.

If something comes to mind though, I'll definitely let 'ya know. :)

10. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I've never tried Photoplog. I have Coppermine Gallery installed, but now that vB has user albums everyone seems to prefer them.

11. Chris

Chris Regular Member

I have always had the worst luck with that software, but I haven't used it for quite some time. Has it improved over the past year or so?

12. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

I probably prefer it because I don't like either photoplog or coppermine. I had issues with both, with features not working, upgrade issues, etc. Greg has always offered me great customer service, I'm sorry you didn't get it Arny.

But like I said, I prefer the simple-ness of the profile albums to the galleries. I just don't need all the "extras".

13. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

probably not! No, it isn't the greatest software, but the price was right.

14. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

Greg was great, don't get me wrong. He even built the javascript scrolling slideshow for the forum home for me. But, he just didn't have time to follow through on a couple of things as I needed some help on the mod. Then, I waited so long that I just decided to go a different route. Not his fault entirely, just how the cookie crumbled is all. :)