Any experience with discountasp.net?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by The1LT, Oct 26, 2013.

1. The1LT

The1LT Regular Member

Anyone used this host before? I've set my forum up with them, primarily because I already had a space for some Asp stuff that I was using for my software's license authentication.

Given that my forum hasn't launched yet and has max 3 or 4 users at a time, it feels exceptionally sluggish. I did locate my server in the US though. Nearest to my client base as I've seen recommended on some other sites and I'm connecting in from the UK.

Still... I can't believe the sort of response time I'm getting is very good. I've set up a Paypal IPN purchasing process through the forum and another thing I noticed is that when I tested the process on my local dev box (Xenforo installation), it runs very smoothly.

Every test transaction that I put through on the Paypal sand box, by the time the callback has processed and redirects back to my local test installation, the IPN has already been received and cleared. When I moved the process to live however, at least 80% of the time, it takes a further 5 - 10 seconds or so before the IPN payment clears.

Any case would be keen to hear if anyone has experience with them? Also is there any sort of base recommendation for a starting site? I did go a fairly cheap route with this but it's not the rock bottom GoDaddy type prices. I think around 12 bucks a month or so.

In the mean time I've started playing around with Googles App engine this morning so should be interesting to see if that is a possible avenue. May be worth while starting a separate thread on that discussion.