Another Large Forum Goes to vB 5 and Regrets It

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by BamaStangGuy, Apr 15, 2014.

1. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Administrator

I mean seriously why?

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/

Updated April 12th, 2014

Speed Issue Update: The hardware update and the VB updates did not fixed the speed issue. We have some more things to try over the next week. We'll post the results as we implement them.

VB Bugs: Almost all of the current issues have been identified as VB bugs. We've submitted them to VB and will update the VB software as the new updates come out. We'll have our developers create patch fixes for any issues that are deemed urgent.

Thank you for your understanding and support while we get our site back on track with VBulletin.

Team HC

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  2. BamaStangGuy

3. Adrian Schneider

Adrian Schneider Regular Member

First Name:
    Adrian
    That's really what you need to run any version of vBulletin. Developers that can fix the software when it inevitably breaks on you. :(

Disclaimer: I run support for a vb 3.8 forum that averages 10k people online

Replying to a large thread? Nope. Not allowed.

4. Alfa1

Alfa1 Regular Member

Split all large threads into 1000 post pieces, lock and interlink them. Problem solved.

5. Adrian Schneider

Adrian Schneider Regular Member

First Name:
    Adrian
    For any other site, I'd agree.

If that large thread was tied to other data in the system (the thread id), it sort of breaks some of the other internal plumbing that we have coded in. I think the client veto'd that suggestion because of this. For now it's handled manually on the few edge cases, but it's just one of the many things that have cracks.

If it's not that, then it's something else. >.<

6. Alfa1

Alfa1 Regular Member

I highly doubt that they will get this big board back on track WITH vbulletin.
    But obviously they have invested greatly in vbulletin 5 development. Their style looks pretty good I must say and that's a first for vb5. After such investment project it would be hard to pull out. But i highly doubt that a site with 730.000 members, a massive database and lots of active users can survive on vb5. Likely their high traffic will be dramatically hurt by the usability of vb5 and their Search Engine influx will be severely reduced due to lower SERP.

7. Alfa1

Alfa1 Regular Member

Yeah, its a dinosaur waiting for another meteor to impact. XF is much better in that sense. I just wish it wasn't so fragmented after you add 90% of its functionality by stacking addon upon addon with no standardized approached to globally needed functions.

8. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    Owner must have some big balls and no temper because shortly he will have a bunch of members screaming at him for making that decision. I bookmarked the site and I'll check back in a few months. My bet is it's dead as a door nail or converted to something else.

Alfa1 likes this.
  9. BamaStangGuy