Actions that aren't covered in the rules

Discussion in 'Member and Staff Management' started by Nick, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Nick

Nick Regular Member

How do you handle a situation when a member does something that is inappropriate (not too extreme) and you won't allow it, but it isn't in violation of the rules?

Would you just PM them and let them know that it's not appreciated and that you have updated your rules to accommodate this misbehavior?

2. 3Phase

3Phase Champion

Probably, depending on how egregious it appeared to be.

On my forum we've really tried to avoid spelling out specifics and write instead to principals, as much as we reasonably can. That leaves both gray area and some leeway for the mods. I specifically state that we do not promise the same action in every case because a) the mods are volunteers, selected for their sense and good judgment, and are empowered to take action as they see fit; and b) the expectation that members are mature reasonable adults means they don't need much moderating anyway. We try to take a reasonable approach with reasonable people, and are not legalistic about it. If people aren't reasonable they may not be a good fit for the forum. Of course some things do have to be specifically spelled out to be sure we don't trip over them.

An example of writing to principals is a rule "do not share personal information about other members or non-member hobbyists." If someone posts that another member's marriage just broke up, then say (probably correctly) that they thought the rule meant names and addresses, we explain "personal" means anything other than the other person's hobby dealings. We might add to the rules text to clarify "personal." Normally they understand and don't do it again. We edit the post for that info and it's no big thing. Part of our thing is to avoid personal gossip being shared publicly, that stuff is deadly to the forum's reputation in the hobby community, so instead of spelling out every possibility we just say "no personal info."

:)

3. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Usually we'll just edit the post and PM the member, saying "this post was not a good idea, and here's why". Do it tactfully enough and they feel like they're being let into a privileged secret, not being scolded.

4. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    I will usually PM the person and depending on what happened, take some kind of other action. It may be as simple as editing the post or locking the thread, but it could even result in a ban if they really found that much of a loophole in your forum rules. In that case they most likely were aware what they did was wrong anyway.

5. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

This has been done before, I PM the user. This is my board, and others might also dislike as well.

Not only PM'ing keeps privacy, but it also lets you discuss n why this user acted that way if permitted.

6. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

#1 - the only rule we have is 'play nice'. The problem with rules is people keep asking what exactly is allowed, which of course all depends on context. No matter how many rules there are there will be special cases.

#2 - In addition to PMs I've moved or copied a persons post into the office section where people can start threads, can only see their own threads, but staff can see all threads. The staff can discuss the post in question with the person that way. A person does need to be sent a link to that thread to be notified. If a staff member starts a thread in that area then the staff can discuss the person but that person does not see it, so that is the moderators forum too.

7. 3Phase

3Phase Champion

I can think of alot of cases where that is a good idea, with a lot of tolerance during the discussion. Sometimes members just want to be heard about something. Even if they don't get their way they are satisfied they got a hearing, and are then good to go. Some also need a perspective on what's appropriate on the particular forum. This is a good way to get that. And they won't feel they are just being picked on by one staff member if they hear from others as well.

8. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

That is my approach, "what is wrong?" "why are you so upset?" Then they can have their concerns voiced and that usually fixes the situation. Often they just want to be heard.

I've seen other less friendly approaches as well. One forum only allows posting in that forum and takes away posting privileges in the other forums and it is more like a tribunal of judges.

9. Chris

Chris Regular Member

This is exactly what I'd do. Approaching these members in a more friendly, peaceful manner has always proven to be effective for me. Rather than taking drastic action(s) immediately, making an attempt to resolve the situation with the member(s) involved is crucial. :)

10. kev

kev Regular Member

Update the rules for every little thing? "Use a little common sense" pretty much covers everything.

11. Vekseid

Vekseid Regular Member

I tried to start out with 'be civil'. It's amazing how creatively vindictive people can be. "But I am being civil!" ...

So we have a set of core rules:

...#12 gets used more than #2 : /

2 people like this.
  12. BananaQueen

BananaQueen Grand Master

First Name:
    not telling anyone ;)
    i have a member who is determined to find any loophole in the rules...i think he will be getting the ban hammer soon :rofl:

usually when this happens, i will pm the member and ask them not to do that, and if several members do it, i will include it in the rules

13. Keylogged

Keylogged Addict

Well, I'd PM him saying I won't tolerate his actions if he continues them.

14. onlineearner123

onlineearner123 Regular Member

i would PM the poster to warn him that his actions will not be tolerated.......and i will edit or delete his thread/post......

15. tomjoson

tomjoson Newcomer

Do it tactfully enough and they feel like they're being let into a privileged secret, not being scolded.

16. Humor4Guys

Humor4Guys Regular Member

First Name:
    Dominic
    I always use a friendly approach to this situation. Unfortunately, a lot of people will argue with you that since it is not in the rules, it is not a violation. This is why I always put a statement in my forum rules stating that site staff has the right to edit and delete posts which are not appropriate for any reason. When a person argues this, I usually tell them that my forum is my house, and members are guests in my house. For example, when you come to my house, I don't have a list of rules posted . . . many things are assumed, like, I wouldn't want people to spit on my floor. If you spit on my floor, I will take the appropriate action, even though it's not posted as a house rule.

But my style of forums has very few rules, and I am very lenient. Over the years I have discovered that the more rules you have, the more problems you will have. That's just my experience.